COMMUNITY OUTREACH EVENTS
We are committed to increasing awareness of and opportunities to participate in rowing.
YOUTH ROWING & STEM TO STERN
In Fall of 2023 and Spring 2024, we will offer two afternoon youth programs:
- Recreational: 2 days per week with a focus on learning, fun and teamwork.
- Competitive: 4-5 days per week with a focus on long-term athlete development and preparing for races.
- Both programs will put athlete well-being first.
- Scholarships which cover up to 70% of registration fees are available through MetroParks foundation during registration.
- Scholarships for transportation, swim lessons and uniforms are available through our partnership with the George Pocock Rowing Foundation.
We are proud to be a partner of STEM to Stern Rowing.
- STEM to Stern aims to eliminate traditional barriers to participation in the sport of rowing
- STEM to Stern offers opportunities for learning, discovery and community
- STEM to Stern participants will be have access to transportation, swim lessons, nutritious snacks and rowing gear through partners and donors, including Concept2 and JLRacing.
COLLEGIATE ROWING EXPLORATION WORKSHOPS (C.R.E.W.)
ADULT INTRO TO ROWING CLASSES
We offer limited group and private rowing lessons for adults. As we continue to build capacity and flush out our portfolio of youth programs, we will begin adding more programs for adults.
For group lessons, we will update this section and post on Instagram when group classes are available.
To inquire about private classes, please contact us.
MONDAY MORNING ROWS FOR BIPoC ENTREPRENEURS
LEARN-TO-ROW & CORPORATE TEAM BUILDING
Have you ever wanted to row but never got a chance? Did reading A Most Beautiful Thing or a Boys in the Boat give you the urge to try rowing? It's never too late!
If you are looking for a unique, fun and challenging team-building activity for your team, company or military unit, rowing is for everyone and anyone. We can customize a memorable full day or half day learn-to-row event.
100% of the cost of your event will go towards supporting our youth programs.
Included in your experience will be:
On-land introduction to rowing
Instruction on proper rowing terminology and boat handling/safety
We have small and large boats to accommodate various group sizes.
Contact us today to discuss your group and needs.
BEND THE OAR: A PROGRAM FOR EDUCATORS & FITNESS PROFESSIONALS
Are you an educator or fitness professional in the Tacoma area?
If so, but you have not rowed on the water, this program is for you.
What's in it for you?
Learn to row on the water and/or refine your rowing machine coaching technique.
Take this as far as you want. If you want to row regularly, great. If not, that is fine.
Help shape our programming and offerings.
What's in it for us?
We want to build connections in the community.
We want to increase the awareness and understanding of rowing within our community.
We want to increase the number of fitness-minded individuals who can coach rowing.
How it works:
Email to let us know you are interested and tell us about your background and career goals.
We will work together to determine a mutually beneficial plan.
This program is free, but capacity is limited.
What's with the name?
Early in the drive phase on the rowing stroke, when the blade is in the water, the oar bends as force is applied.
Deliberate application of energy results in changes- in this case, force moves the boat.
We want to bend the arc of this sport. We are making deliberate efforts to:
Increase awareness or and access to the sport
Create pathways for new coaches
Contact us today to learn more.